MUZAFFAR: Oxfam revealed on the 15th of January that “the richest eight
tycoons on the planet are worth as much as the poorest 3.6 billion
people” — half of the world’s population. It also emphasised that the
richest 1% continues to own more than the other 99% combined.
These inequalities have been getting worse over the years. In 2010, a
mere seven years ago, the wealth of 43 of the world’s richest people
equalled to that of half of the human family. Between 1988 and 2011 the
incomes of the top 1 % had increased by 182 times compared to the bottom